Click to Enlarge
The Trube Castle, built in 1890, by John Clement Trube and his wife Veronica Durst Trube and designed by architect Alfred Muller, is one of the most photographed historic buildings in Texas.  It is distinctly Galveston and epitomizes the city’s 1890’s state of mind.  

The 7000 sq. ft., 21 room castle was designed to replicate castles from Trube’s memory as a boy in Kiel , Denmark.  It was completed in 3 ½ months from start to finish including stables, by contractor J. W. Pope, at the cost of $9,700.   It is three stories and constructed of bricks covered by stucco mixed with Belgium cement creating a rusticated stone effect.  The mansard slate roof with seven gables and the battlement tower give the historic home a castle distinction.  The observation deck on the top of the tower offers a view of both the gulf and the harbor.  The fireplace has a stained glass inset which is possible due to the double flue chimney.  The castle sits at a diagonal to the intersection at Sealy Avenue   (originally Ave. I) and 17th  Street so that the family could have the privacy of bedrooms at the back of the house and so that all of the bedrooms could enjoy the gulf breezes from some of the home’s 52 window
 
The architect Alfred Muller, designed many prominent buildings in the state, but the Trube Castle is one of the few remaining . His work includes the Galveston 1888 City Hall (now razed) and the Old Main on the Sam Houston State University campus in Huntsville (destroyed by fire in the 1980s).  

Trube and his brother lived in Houston and purchased property there and in Galveston.  They also owned a grocery store in the Heights.  There was also a younger Trube brother living in Houston.  All three Trube brothers married three Durst sisters who were daughters of the prominent Peter Durst.  John Clement Trube retired at age 35 and lived on income from rental property in Houston and Galveston.  John and Veronica had 9 children, three passed away in early childhood.  The Trubes built the castle when they were in their 50’s.  Five children moved into the home with their parents including Henrietta, the eldest, who was already married.  Two other Trube daughters were married in the castle   The Trube family also enjoyed traveling, hunting and collecting exotic animals, sometimes these animals resided in their own backyard.  The castle remained in the Trube family for 95 years. It was owned by John and Veronica’s direct heirs until 1965 when it was purchased by cousin Edwin Trube and wife Mary.  Mary Trube died in 1985, leaving her possessions to charity.  The castle then became a bed and breakfast inn and later reverted back to a private residence once again.